Lazy Search Music Plugin for Squeezebox Server, SqueezeCenter and SlimServer
“Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after…” TracNav?
Performing searches using the Squeezebox/Transporter? remote controls is somewhat cumbersome, to say the least. Multiple button-pushes are required to enter each search character - something that not only takes a long time, but which is quite often error prone as well.
This plugin for Squeezebox Server, SqueezeCenter and SlimServer from Logitech attempts to remove both of these annoyances - allowing you to search both more quickly and more accurately. As a quick comparison, searching for "SQUEEZE" with the standard search takes around 20 button-pushes, but with this plugin it takes only seven. That's 65% fewer buttons-pushes!
As the plugin removes the need for multiple button-pushes I call this Lazy Searching. You can read more about the background of the plugin on the AboutLazySearch page.
The following pages provide the documentation that most people will want to read:
- InstallingLazySearch describes how to download and install the plugin on both Windows and Linux.
- UsingLazySearch shows how to use the plugin from the Squeezebox/Transporter? remote control.
- The Configuration page describes the plugin settings that allow the behaviour to be tuned to your preferences.
- Read the HintsAndTips for some extra features that make using the plugin easier.
- There are some common questions and answers on the FAQ page.
Plugin developers, and the curious, are also free to read HowItWorks.
Here is the latest version of the plugin for each main version of SqueezeCenter and SlimServer. Be sure to download the appropriate version as they are not cross-compatible (don't worry if you get the wrong one, though, the worst that will happen is that the plugin will fail to load):
- Squeezebox Server 7.5/7.6 v3.5.6. Install via my plugin repository at http://www.hickinbottom.com/sc-plugins/repo.xml or via the list of recommended plugins built into the SqueezeCenter extension downloader, or directly from here.
- SqueezeCenter 7.3./7.4 v3.5.3. Install via my plugin repository at http://www.hickinbottom.com/sc-plugins/repo.xml or via the list of recommended plugins built into the SqueezeCenter extension downloader, or directly from here.
- SqueezeCenter 7.0/7.1/7.2 - LazySearch2.zip v3.2. The changelog is available under r413. Read the INSTALL file in the downloaded archive for installation instructions.
- SlimServer 6.5.x - LazySearch2.zip v2.3.1. The changelog is available under r277.
- SlimServer 6.2.x and 6.3.x - LazySearch2.zip v1.2.1. The changelog is available under r166.
Note that you need to click the links above to visit the page with the actual download - don't "save as..." the above links directly.
If you'd like to be kept up to date with announcements as new versions are released then you can subscribe to the RSS feed.
Source code is also maintained on GitHub. You can get official and beta versions from there - use the appropriate branch and/or tag name.
Donate! (but it's not necessary)
This plugin is free software - you don't need to pay to use it, or to receive support, and an email to say you like it is more than enough to say thanks. Believe it or not, though, some people sometimes want to do more so if you insist on going further in showing your appreciation you can make a donation through PayPal on the link below or you could look at my Amazon wishlist.
The Lazy Search Music Plugin is licensed under the GNU GPL v2. You are free to use, distribute or modify it, but you must maintain this license on any derived works. The source code of the plugin is all contained within the plugin download.
Feedback and Comments
I always welcome feedback on the plugin. Whether you have a found a bug, require some help, or just want to say what you think of it, feel free to get in touch.
Please file bugs and feature requests as TracTickets on this system (using the button at the top of these web pages). For general feedback then just drop me an email to stuart@….
Many thanks for reading, now kick back and enjoy the plugin!